Updating your home’s garage door is a solution for improving both the value of your house and your everyday comfort and convenience. It’s also a significant investment, so you want to choose quality components.
While it may be tempting to upgrade to a garage door opener model that’s cost-effective or simply features the latest technology and performance improvements, there are several factors to consider when purchasing a new opener machine.
Most homeowners use their garage doors every day as the primary entrance to their homes — meaning your door may cycle 1,500 times every year — and the convenience, functionality, and reliability of your door largely depend on the garage door opener and its operating capacity. By choosing the right horsepower for your garage door opener, you ensure smooth, long-term operations and dependable performance for the door and its components.
Factors to Consider When Purchasing a New Garage Door Opener
The garage door opener motor is responsible for lifting and lowering the door when prompted, and there is a range of different electrical motors and opener horsepower options available. How can you determine which opener model and size is appropriate for your garage door and household’s needs? When exploring your garage door opener options, it’s important to consider:
- Garage door size and weight: Before settling on an opener model, determine whether your door is covering a single or double opening size and evaluate the door’s construction material. These factors are crucial in determining a garage door opener’s recommended horsepower.
- Opener machine lifespan: While it’s tempting to install an opener machine that’s on sale or less expensive, it’s important to note that openers with limited operating horsepower will likely need to be replaced much sooner than a machine with the appropriate horsepower.
- Additional garage door components: If your garage door opener’s horsepower isn’t properly matched to the size and weight of the door, it can place additional strain on other moving and lifting components of your garage door system like the springs, cables, and tracks. This stress will eventually lead to excess wear and tear and require parts repair or replacement.
Different Garage Door Opener Horsepower Capacities
There are several different motor sizes to provide the horsepower needed for garage door openers. The most popular horsepower capacities for residential garage door systems include:
- 1/3 HP: This horsepower option is best suited for lightweight steel garage doors for a single car garage. While it can lift any type of door with evenly distributed weight, it will require regular and frequent replacement.
- 1/2 HP: A 1/2-horsepower garage door opener is the most popular capacity for single and double garage doors between eight and 12 feet wide. This opener horsepower can manage many types of door materials, including aluminum, steel and composites.
- 3/4 HP: For larger and heavier doors — like those crafted from wood — a 3/4 horsepower opener is the best option for maintaining long-term functionality.
Streamline Garage Door Performance With a New Opener From Custom Overhead Doors
For help selecting and installing a new garage door opener for your home, reach out to the experienced and helpful garage door experts at Custom Overhead Doors. We proudly install LiftMaster openers in a variety of horsepower options and types with the latest improvements for better convenience and long-term performance. Call us today at 919-457-9489 or complete our online contact form to request services — we happily provide garage door opener horsepower recommendations throughout Raleigh, NC, and beyond.
This post first appeared on https://customoverheaddoors.net