True or false: Your garage door is 100% secure because no one can get in without the code or the garage door opener. The answer? False! Watch our video below to learn why a properly secured garage door is essential in keeping your family safe.
4 Garage Safety Measures To Keep Your Home Safe
There are various ways burglars can break into your garage, even one with an automatic garage door. Affordable Garage Door Repair, the garage door spring repair company in Holladay, UT, has prepared this list of garage door safety tips for keeping your family and belongings safe and secure.
1. Beef up the service door. The walk-through entry door (often called the “service door”) is a weak security spot in most garages. Your service door should be equipped with a deadbolt and a heavy-duty strike plate, just like any other door in your home.
2. Keep the entry door locked. If your garage is attached, it’s key to lock the entry door that leads into your home. It’s common for many homeowners to rely on their service door, and wind up leaving their entry door unlocked.
3. Cover your windows. If burglars can’t see your belongings in your garage, they most likely won’t be motivated to break in. Hanging sheer curtains or translucent window film will still let in light but keep your valuables out of sight.
4. Add lighting. Bright lighting makes thieves nervous and will deter them from attempting a break-in. Install motion detector lighting, which is better than on-all-night lighting because it saves energy when it’s off but will attract attention when they turn on.
- There is a new trend in home break-ins, which burglars are gaining access to the home by stealing the opener or car. It’s important to never leave your remote control in the car or with a parking attendant. Consider using a key chain remote, so it’s with you at all times.
- One additional security measure you can take to protect your garage door is to install a monitored camera security system with a garage door sensor. If you don’t have a security system in place already, there are plenty of affordable options on the market now, and we highly recommend investing in one.
Burglars are generally opportunistic, so don’t give them the chance to take advantage of your open or unsecured garage door. Take the time to evaluate your garage’s weakest points and do whatever it takes to make it safe.
If you’re unsure of what to look for when inspecting your garage’s safety level, contact Affordable Garage Door Repair today. Not only are we known for our garage door spring replacement services in Midvale, UT, but our team will install security measures to help you protect your family and belongings. Give us a call and get a free quote! (801) 447-1263
The post Crucial Garage Security Tips To Keep Your Family Safe appeared first on Affordable Garage Door Repair | affordablegaragedoorfix.com.